Shortlist announced for Croydon’s new world-class public space
Six teams through to next stage of contest for Fair Field civic and cultural hub
Croydon City Council has announced the architectural teams invited to the second stage of the selection process to design a prominent public space in Croydon’s town centre. The announcement follows a competitive tender to create a world-class public space at The Fair Field, which will revert to its historic name after recently being known as College Green or Fairfield Gardens.
The six teams through to the second stage are:
• DSDHA (DSDHA; Todd Longstaffe Gowan; Alan Baxter Ltd; Studio Dekka)
• Expedition Engineering (West 8; Periscope; Donald Hyslop; Michael Grubb Studio Ltd; Expedition Engineering)
• Gustafson Porter + Bowman (Gustafson Porter + Bowman; BuroHappold; Jes Fernie; Soundings)
• Hassell (Hassell; We Made That; BuroHappold; Nigel Dunnett; Studio Dekka; Turf Projects)
• Martha Schwartz Partners (Martha Schwartz Partners; Tyrens UK; FutureCity; PLP; AKT II; CommonPlace; Light Bureau; The Fountain Workshop; Shape; ETM Associates; Habidation)
• MICA Architects (MICA Architects; OOZE; Charles Holland Architects; Adam Nathaniel Furman; eHRW; DHA Design Services Ltd.)
In the heart of Croydon’s new cultural quarter, Fair Field will become a civic and community hub, providing the setting for and complementing entertainment and conference centre Fairfield Halls, which is reopening in September 2019 following a multi-million pound restoration, modernisation and expansion.
The six teams will now make a more detailed response, including a high level concept design. The brief calls for the public space to be reinstated as an important place in its own right, incorporating the use of water, lighting and other innovative technologies. Councillor Paul Scott, cabinet member for environment, transport and regeneration, said: “We’ve got six teams that could all create the world class landmark space we envisage. We look forward to them now coming forward with some excellent proposals that will entertain and delight the community for many years to come, and create a fantastic setting for our refurbished Fairfield Halls.”
TenderStream Head of Research & Editor
This tender was first published on 31.01.2019. See the original brief here