16th Jan 2020: David Kohn wins contest for Smithfield Markets
David Kohn Architects have won an international competition to design a new home for the historic Smithfield Markets in the heart of Birmingham.
Smithfield is integral to Birmingham's reputation as the 'City of a Thousand Trades'. The new buildings will form the centrepiece of the £1.5 bn Smithfield development, which will include cultural and leisure opportunities, a new public square, public transport and more than 2,000 homes surrounding a public park.
Lendlease ran the design contest for the market in collaboration with Birmingham City Council. Completion is expected in 2025.
This tender was first published by TenderStream on 28.06.2019 and can be viewed in our archive here
- WINNING NEWS
- 7th Apr 2020: SEW appointed to evolve Watford Business Park
- 30th Mar 2020: US$8m army contract awarded to Mason & Hanger-Pond JV
- 18th Mar 2020: shortlist selected for Green City Kigali
- 11th Mar 2020: Farrells to carry out Wakefield city centre masterplan
- 10th Mar 2020: Heath Park contest longlist announced
- 1st Mar 2020: ARM Architecture to deliver AU$128m arts centre redevelopment
- 17th Feb 2020: Ellis Williams to design UK's largest community-led development
- 12th Feb 2020: Tonkin Liu to redesign Grosvenor Square, London
- 3rd Feb 2020: winners announced for new £50m venue at Somerset House, London
- 28th Jan 2020: firms commissioned for civic tower in Raleigh, NC