27th Jan 2020: design team completed for US$8.5bn airport expansion
The City of Chicago has announced the completion of the design team for the US$8.5bn O’Hare International Airport expansion, following the signing of a contract with Skidmore, Owings & Merrill (SOM) for two new satellite concourses and the selection of HNTB to serve as lead civil engineer. The firms join a consortium led by Studio Gang, called Studio ORD, which is designing the new O’Hare Global Terminal. The satellite concourses - valued at around US$4.1bn - must be finished before construction on the Global Terminal begins.
Michael Minerva, American Airlines Vice President of Government and Airport Affairs, stated: “Much like American, SOM has rich history and roots in Chicago, and we look forward to working with them – and all of the design teams – to create a world class customer experience at O’Hare Airport.”
Work at the airport as part of the overall O’Hare 21 transformation scheme is well underway, most notably at Terminal 5, where 10 new gates and passenger amenities are being constructed. Once complete, the overall terminal square footage is expected to increase from 5.5m to 8.9m sq ft.
This tender was first published by TenderStream on 11.06.2018 and can be viewed in our archive here
- WINNING NEWS
- 18th Mar 2020: shortlist selected for Green City Kigali
- 11th Mar 2020: Farrells to carry out Wakefield city centre masterplan
- 10th Mar 2020: Heath Park contest longlist announced
- 1st Mar 2020: ARM Architecture to deliver AU$128m arts centre redevelopment
- 17th Feb 2020: Ellis Williams to design UK's largest community-led development
- 12th Feb 2020: Tonkin Liu to redesign Grosvenor Square, London
- 3rd Feb 2020: winners announced for new £50m venue at Somerset House, London
- 28th Jan 2020: firms commissioned for civic tower in Raleigh, NC
- 20th Jan 2020: Network Homes appoint 11 architects to new framework