12th Feb 2020: Tonkin Liu to redesign Grosvenor Square, London
Tonkin Liu has been appointed to re-design London’s Grosvenor Square ahead of its 300th anniversary. Situated in the heart of Mayfair, the Grade II listed square has a rich history but today has a low profile with limited amenities for those who live and work in the area.
Over the past three years, Grosvenor Britian & Ireland - which manages the public garden on a not-for-profit basis - has worked with local residents and Londoners to build a shared vision for the square. An international contest was launched in 2018 to find a team that would transform it into a welcoming space connecting people back to nature.
When announcing the winner, James Raynor, Grosvenor CEO, stated: “Grosvenor Square’s original purpose was to bring the countryside to the city. It was the first of its kind and caused a sensation. However, today it provides limited benefit to Londoners, their well-being or the environment. Now it can once again become the capital’s outstanding green space."
- WINNING NEWS
- 7th Apr 2020: SEW appointed to evolve Watford Business Park
- 30th Mar 2020: US$8m army contract awarded to Mason & Hanger-Pond JV
- 18th Mar 2020: shortlist selected for Green City Kigali
- 11th Mar 2020: Farrells to carry out Wakefield city centre masterplan
- 10th Mar 2020: Heath Park contest longlist announced
- 1st Mar 2020: ARM Architecture to deliver AU$128m arts centre redevelopment
- 17th Feb 2020: Ellis Williams to design UK's largest community-led development
- 3rd Feb 2020: winners announced for new £50m venue at Somerset House, London
- 28th Jan 2020: firms commissioned for civic tower in Raleigh, NC