6th Nov 2020: results announced for Hamilton Mausoleum ideas competition
The Glasgow Institute of Architects and Hamilton Mausoleum Trust have announced the winners of a design ideas competition to save the Hamilton Mausoleum and Keeper’s Lodge for the cultural benefit of future generations. John Kennedy, an architect at Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners, took the prize with a design that re-imagined the landscape around the mausoleum in a more formalised manner. Guest Judge Professor John Hume OBE commented: "The proposal greatly enhances the setting and improves the landscape value of the area around the mausoleum whilst facilitating the competition brief and drawing attention to the mausoleum and keeper's lodge, whilst also being an asset to the town of Hamilton."
Visible from the M74, the mausoleum is one of the town’s most iconic buildings. Located in Strathclyde Country Park, and designed by David Bryce, it was built as a family tomb for the 10th Duke of Hamilton. This year, South Lanarkshire Council pledged to undertake the urgent repair of the Hamilton Mausoleum as part of the council’s capital programme for 2020/21.
This tender was first published by TenderStream on 29.06.2020 and can be viewed in our archive here
- WINNING NEWS
- 18th Feb 2021: Finalists announced for Highgate Cemetery transformation
- 11th Feb 2021: shortlist announced for National Gallery Victoria installation contest
- 8th Feb 2021: shortlist revealed for Thamesmead Waterfront masterplan
- 5th Feb 2021: shortlist announced for Hospital of the Future contest in Leeds
- 3rd Feb 2021: teams compete for 86 ac development in St Petersburg, FL
- 1st Feb 2021: planning granted for new Southwark homes
- 23rd Dec 2020: shortlist selected in contest to upgrade Château Lafite Rothschild wine cellars
- 17th Dec 2020: AOC appointed to design facility for largest rail vehicle display in UK
- 1st Dec 2020: shortlist revealed in contest to re-imagine Britain’s railway stations
- 20th Nov 2020: joint venture awarded HK$12bn Hong Kong Airport expansion contract