17th Dec 2020: AOC appointed to design facility for largest rail vehicle display in UK
AOC Architecture have been appointed by the Science Museum Group to start work on a £4.5m project to deliver a new collection building at the railway museum Locomotion in Shildon, County Durham. Once complete, the facility will house up to 50 rail vehicles, bringing the total at Locomotion to 120 and creating the UK’s largest rail vehicle display, spread across the museum's two buildings.
First opened in 2004, Locomotion remains a partnership with Durham County Council as well as a member of the Science Museum Group. The collection facility is part of a £6m improvement programme to regenerate the museum’s historic site, with Durham County Council contributing £2.25m to support the delivery of the new building.
Geoff Shearcroft, Director at AOC said: “We are delighted to be working with the SMG team to develop a low carbon, open museum store, creating new opportunities for the public to engage with the full diversity of the museum’s collection. Through its location and design, Locomotion’s newest building will help activate the surrounding landscape, enhancing biodiversity and improving public access to the museum site’s historic buildings and demonstration railway line.”
This tender was first published by TenderStream on 17.08.2020 and can be viewed in our archive here
- WINNING NEWS
- 23rd Dec 2020: shortlist selected in contest to upgrade Château Lafite Rothschild wine cellars
- 1st Dec 2020: shortlist revealed in contest to re-imagine Britain’s railway stations
- 20th Nov 2020: joint venture awarded HK$12bn Hong Kong Airport expansion contract
- 16th Nov 2020: Shortlist revealed for Nine Elms railway arch contest
- 10th Nov 2020: work underway for civic plaza in Liverpool, NSW
- 6th Nov 2020: results announced for Hamilton Mausoleum ideas competition
- 5th Oct 2020: finalists announced for Silicon valley landmark
- 28th Sept 2020: team announced for US naval design contract
- 16th Sept 2020: Tata group wins bid for Indian Parliament rebuild